A few days ago, Roxana drove me to Math Moves U at the Middlesex Community College in Bedford, Massachusetts. Math Moves U is a program for Girl Scouts in STEM which is Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
We went to the door and went in. I got my name tag, and a sling bag. I also got a Math Moves U t-shirt. I got one last year, and this year I got a t-shit that is much too big so I will use it for PJs.
I also chose a snack and a water. I found out that the slingbag had a six piece foam puzzle, a 3D maze pen with two tiny metal balls, a bracelet that's inside is probably made from a cut of tape measure, and a water bottle.
The water bottle changed color with the temperature. Mine turned purple when it was cold, and blue when room temperature. Others were: pink when room temperature and dark pink when cold, blue when room temperate and clear when cold, and a green water bottle that I don't know if it was green when cold or green when room temperature.
The first project I did was a program called Alice. It was a computer animation. There was a tutorial (be people) that I did. The people let the kids who knew how to do the program do their own thing in Alice. I did Alice at Math Moves U last year but did not remember how to do it. (You can try Alice and learn more about it here: www.Alice.org )
At lunch, there were box lunches for everyone (most people did not bring a home lunch.) There was a cookie, a bag of chips, or Fritos, or Doritos in the lunches, a fruit, and a turkey, ham and cheese and maybe a tuna sandwich. I chose the turkey sandwich. Now I wish I would have gotten ham and cheese. Turkey is good, but a turkey sandwich without cheese? No thanks. Edible, eatable, but no thanks. The ham sandwich had cheese!
My next project to build a salt water car. No, it was not made out of salt water. It ran on salt water fuel. Not ocean water, though it probably could. We used just a salt and water formula. The reaction happened from the carbon and salt water and magnesium. The carbon and magnesium touched metal which traveled through the wire to the propeller to the gear which spun the two front wheels. This car is a front -wheel drive car.
My last project was forensic science. Hopefully you know what it means. We (I was in a group of girl scouts) copied one of our index finger prints. I copied both of mine. Some kids I talked with believed that one hand of prints was the same as the other hand of prints. But it is not true! Look closely at my fingerprints.
We also solveda case. (It was false.) Someone had stolen some Surpreme Pink Shampoo, which turned out to be dye.
Earlier, we has seen some pumpkins from about 50 feet away. Now we had a chance to see them closely. They were 5 real pumpkins! Some were cleaned out and some had gook. One had gook sticking out of its mouth!
Some people were playing Red Rover. I didn't know the rules, but it was pretty easy.
At the end of the day, I had to wait for Roxana to come get me. When the called my name, along with someone else, the person said my last name first name, and I nodded my head but then the person said the other name and I guess, for some reason, I was still nodding. The person went back to call me! Then I started to run back to tell the person that that was MY name, but the person understood the mistake.
Roxana told me that she has to wait in line. Parents could not come in until they said the name of the kids they were picking up. One parent came and just grabbed her kid. Rox told me that made the waiting even longer.
For my ending, I can't wait to be a Cadet!
No comments:
Post a Comment