Last month I attended Math Moves U with the Girl Scouts at Middlesex Community College. I got on a bus with another kid, Lilly. We were the only kids on the big bus except our driver and our chaperon. When we, Lilly, our chaperon and I got to the college school, there were free snacks, except for the vending machine. All I chose was apple juice and apple sauce.
The event theme was STEM: science, technology, engineering, and math. We, Group N, got to do three things that day.
The first thing was called Computer Science. We worked on a website called, Alice and learned how people make things in movies that could not actually happen for real.
The second thing we did was build a car. No, not the ones that you drive on the street. This car was earth-friendly. We made it from some black foamish stuff, a straw, a balloon, black wheels, two dowels, two zip ties, one tiny piece of duck tape and four eye screws.
The third thing was making an electrical switch and it wasn't one of those easy switches that you see that comes in a kit. It was made from two wires, nails,a tiny, bright, light, a battery, a paper clip, and a thing called an insulator, a thing that looks like it has a peanut in the middle.
I think that day was great! I would do it every Sunday if they had it every Sunday.
Note from Robin: Girls used critical thinking skills, did hands on engineering activities and worked alongside women engineers from Raytheon and college professors from the college.





No comments:
Post a Comment