Monday, October 10, 2011
Columbus Day?
It is not true that Columbus discovered America because there were people there before he went there accidentally.
I would feel offended if I were a Native American person. People have now been calling them Redskins, Indians, and other names when they know better!
If I could make laws, I would ban those names. They are not red, and Columbus made a mistake calling them Indians.
I know Columbus didn't know any better calling Native American people "Indians." But the name stuck instead of being history. If I were in charge of the world, everything derogatory would be banned.
Five stereotypes about Native Americans:
1. Native American people came from somewhere else, like India or Asia.
2. You can become a Native American person by wearing an "Indian costume."
3. Native American people are braves, papooses, chiefs or squaws.
4. All Native American people live in tipis.
5. All Native American people look the same and speak the same language, like "Ugh" and "How."
Labels:
columbus,
racism,
social studies

3 comments:
You are going to change the world, TJ.
Wow. Awesome post, Kidlet. Thank you for sharing this.
Thanks.
Post a Comment